Monday, August 4, 2008

Sun: Ray Davies concert!

So, here's something I've been annoyed about for a long time:
Madonna released her new album ages ago now, but still there are lots of posters up everywhere promoting it. (News travels slowly to Norway:p) And I was sitting on the tube just recently, looking up at one of those posters.
Here it its:

So, we all recognize the cover, with her in a sado-like outfit...

I couldn't help thinking: Madonna...You're 50-something! Do you REALLY think the world wants to be staring at your crotch whenever they sit down on a bus,tube train etc.!?
I mean, it's really cool that she can still produce (though crappy) music at her age, but come on!

It's just NOT sexy anymore! I say grow up and make some mature music and album covers. Maybe look back at your previous work, even that was more sensible than this "oh-my-god-I-don't-want-to-get-old"-shit!


Aaanyways... Back to the topic;):

As I've written earlier, I was to to go to a Ray Davies (of the Kinks) concert with my dad on Saturday (2nd).

The concert was held at Notodden Blues Festival (Which is maybe even duller than it sounds...), and when we got there an hour early, some blues/country/rock band was playing.

The place was packed with these really tacky people. Middle-aged men and women dressed as 1999-teenagers, with a beer in one hand and a cowboyhat. So I though: "Well this will be fun..." and waited for the band on stage to finish ruining Hendrix's "Voodoo Child".

I've got to admit, I wasn't expecting much from Ray Davies' performance either, 'cause old pop stars with an ongoing solo-career, have a tendency of beeing grumpy and too caught up with precent projects, but still, I was looking forward to it.

When the band on stage had finished, a lot of the tacky people started leaving, and we got to move closer to the stage. So we waited for another hour, while more and more people arrived.

Then this girl, my age, with spiky black hair and kind of Punk/Rock-like clothes, appeared next to me and started talking to an older guy. I think she had been working in one of the stands there, and was going to check out the concert, cause she had never heard of Ray Davies, or even the Kinks.
And so, negative-me, thought: "If you look like that, and have never heard of the godfathers of punk, you trying to hard to be something you're not..."

And then finally Ray Davies entered the stage.

He looked really good, and started of with "Where Have All The Good Times Gone", which was fantastic!

(The girl next to me, actually reached her hand up in a satan-sign during the song...tacky...)

After that he kept on delivering great Kinks songs, and a couple of his solo songs, which were actually quite good!

He kept making jokes through the whole concert, and during his extra-number, "Low Budget", when the audience was singing along eagerly he said: "You don't even know what that means, I've heard about your oil-money" (or something like that), and they all laughed, 'cause I think they got a little embarassed by it,(I know I was) 'cause he was right.

He sang "Sunny Afternoon", "You Really Got Me", "Dead end Street"(Which I sang along to shamelesly, because of my school performance:p) "All Day and All Of The Night" and many more. He also did the intro to "Lola", but said:"That's old, we won't do that.." And started on another song instead. I was very disappointed, 'cause "Lola" is one of my favourite songs...

Then after the "Low Budget"-extra number, he told us the performance was over and walked of stage with his band. We all thought that was the end, and a lot of people started walking towards the entrance.

But then the whole band came in again, and guess wich song they played??

Of course they played "Lola", which was maybe the best of all the performances!

So the concert really got me out of my "Hope I die before I get old"-attitude, 'cause if I can be as vital and well and sporty when I'm 64, well...I can't wait!

So conclusion is: the concert was definetly worth it, and I'm really sad you weren't there with me Steph! I'm sure you'd enjoy it!


Peace out!


Reports on the concert: (all in Norwegian, sorry)


http://www.bluesfest.no/program2008/artister/1209205109

http://www.dagbladet.no/tekstarkiv/artikkel.php?id=5001080070074&tag=item&words=ray%3Bdavies (also gave him a five)

http://www.dagbladet.no/tekstarkiv/artikkel.php?id=5001080070075&tag=item&words=ray%3Bdavies

No comments: